It is amazing to see how the education sector has evolved in a short period of time and educators have to be given their due credit in this journey. However, this journey seems like the starting of a more complex and rewarding one rather than the end.
The expectation of the educational institutes, the parents and most importantly, the learners have changed or rather evolved so, most educators are in the phase where they are probably asking – How do we raise the bar?
A lot of educational institutes have already adopted creative methods to interact both with the parents as well as the students. Webinars to educate parents on various pressing topics are organized to establish a healthy learning ecosystem.
Starting from fun Fridays to talent shows to celebration of various cultural events and festivals are today happening virtually. There is plenty which has been done and plenty which is yet to be done.
It has been 8 months since my child has been undergoing online classes and based on my experience here are few things that can be done to make e-learning more meaningful for the kids
- Increased use of virtual interactive platform: You experience a different momentum when you create a competitive environment for your learners especially the young ones. Using interactive virtual platforms like menti.com or ahaslides.com during classes can make the classes more engaging. Conducting a poll or a quiz using these platforms can create an exciting experience for the learners.
- Create interactive videos: Simple interactive videos can be created to enhance the learning recall capability among students. The most important concept of a chapter or the most difficult section of a topic can be transformed into videos using simple power point presentation. This will minimize any learning gap and also give teachers a little extra time to explain additional points about the topic
- Simulated self-learning videos: An excellent medium to help learners learn more and faster. Integrated with knowledge tests, simulated videos can help the teachers as well as the learners keep a track of the progress
- Icebreakers and Energizers – Similar to instructor led training conducted for adults, ice breakers and energizers can be very effective to help the teachers connect with children faster and also break the monotony. Infact, activities can be planned to make learning recap activities more creative
- Integrate pre-work as a part of assignment : Teachers have limited scope of conversation in a 30 or 45 minutes class to meet the learning need of every child as each one of us have different learning curve. However if small assignments can be give through short videos, it will not only prepare the children for the topic to be discussed in the next class but also build their interest towards the topic.
- Group or Paired Projects: Group study is an old, tried and tested formula. If projects can be assigned by either pairing the students or putting them into groups, it will not only facilitate learning recall but also strengthen teamwork among students
- Ask for feedback : While regular PTM are organized to seek feedback from the parents and also share the progress of the child, feedback can be collected from students too to see if they are able to understand concepts, it’s application and also identify any challenges that they might be facing while learning online
Well, these are my thoughts but would love to know yours. What do you think can enhance the experience of the e-learners?
Author: Sumitra Paul Chatterjee
I Train Consultants India Pvt. Ltd.
Leave A Reply